Welcome
September Featured RPG

"And the Dreamer Dreamed of Mutants" is an original superhuman RPG with a hybrid narrative and sandbox style. This means that, in addition to an on-going often reality warping board-wide plot that you, humble members, can influence through your character's actions, we also adore the more personal inter-character plot and give you free-reign to explore our unique setting.

We are rated 2-1-1 (or PG-13) and welcome all, no matter who you are or where you come from.

IMPORTANT LINKS

The Plot

The Rules

The Equality Policy

The Story So Far

Character Template

Staff
SPIRIT
Owner & Creator

SCOOT
Plot & Advertising
C-box
- Guest friendly.
- Keep to the rules.

- At the moment all our staff are close to the GMT timezone. I promise we're not ignoring you. If you miss us, drop in again whenever!

Listed On
Affiliates
Palandri
CoT%20Affie%20Button.png
Credit
Banner credit goes to Zozma and Heather of Distant Fantasies. Everything else is property of it's respective owners.

Add Reply
New Poll

Character Template
Spirit
 Posted: Jun 13 2014, 08:43 AM
Played By:
Spirit
Admin
Powers
Owning
Creating

Organization
Unaffiliated

Please use this template when applying.

Do not put anything in the Powers section, until a member of staff tells you to.

CODE

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Species[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:

[size=7][b]Appearance[/b][/size]

[align=center][img]IMAGE GOES HERE[/img][/align]

[b]Face[/b]:
[b]Height[/b]:
[b]Weight[/b]:
[b]Hair Colour[/b]:
[b]Eye Colour[/b]:
[b]Anything else?[/b]

[size=7][b]Personality[/b][/size]

[size=7][b]History[/b][/size]

[size=7][b]Powers[/b][/size]

[b]Category[/b]:
[b]Abilities[/b]:
[List=1][*]slot 1
[*]slot 2[/List]

[size=7][b]Who are you again?[/b][/size]
[b]OoC name[/b]:
[b]Other characters[/b]:
[b]Anything else you want to say?[/b]
PMEmail
^
Spirit
 Posted: Jun 13 2014, 08:57 AM
Played By:
Spirit
Admin
Powers
Owning
Creating

Organization
Unaffiliated

SPIRIT’S GUIDE TO GETTING ACCEPTED IN NO TIME AT ALL

At few points to start off with:

At atDDoM, we don’t like filling out tediously long bios, but like it or not they have their place. Still, we like to keep things as simple as possible. This is why our app (see above) is on the smaller side and just a smidge free-form.
  • I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve seen a good bio spark plot or shipping opportunities. Don’t squander this opportunity to include everything about your character.
  • You may be tempted to phone it in just to get roleplaying quicker, but I promise you, spending some quality time here getting to know your character is the absolute best thing you could do.
  • Finally, no, you’re not going mad (well you might be, but that’s not what I’m talking about). Before you even get to the fun of choosing a power for your mutant, we ask that you create the character himself. This is to allow you to focus on making them as real as humanly possible without shiny distractions.
Summary: 3D characters, good. 2D Mary-Sues and “walking powers”, bad.

SO LET’S RUN THROUGH THE PROCESS IN MORE DETAIL

Name: It’s one of my all-time character building pet peeves when people don’t ensure their character’s name fits their background. A Hindi man called John Smith? I hope you see my problem here. Behindthename.com and similar websites are brilliant resources for finding heritage-conscious, background-appropriate names.

Species: For the moment, the choice is Mutant or Human. Pick one. Simple.

Age: No mutant character can be over the age of 43. Humans? Go wild. Don’t know why, read the plot. If you’re still in the dark, just ask me to explain it.

Gender: Please note how I didn’t use the word “sex” here. How the character identifies is more important to us than what precise wobbly bit they were born with. I love equality, but then who doesn’t?

Appearance

CHARACTER IMAGE GOES HERE

High quality, professional stuff is preferred but not required.
Please use real life photography, not cartoon/anime/manga images.

Face: Celebrity, model, whatever fits. Again I love equality and diversity, so don’t be too “white-washy”.
Height:
Weight: Has to make sense given the character height and build, but don’t stress, I’ll soon tell you if something is off.
Hair Colour: Nothing too outlandish, naturally, but exceptions can be made for hair dye and the like.
Eye Colour: See above, with the caveat that not everyone needs coloured contacts...
Anything else? Clothing style, scars, blemishes, third nipples… go as simple or as wild here as you want.

Personality
Here at atDDoM, the personality section is totally free form.
  • If you like nice, neat, detailed paragraphs, then that's absolutely fine. If you prefer quick and easy lists, then all the power to you. All we ask is that you provide enough for everyone to understand your character.
  • Personality can be a great jumping off point for extended plot and interaction. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking it won’t matter. This is where your character has the chance to shine.
History
  • A couple of paragraphs are more than sufficient, but not a requirement. One high quality paragraph is miles better than a billion crappy ones that say next to nothing.
  • I personally like to write at least three paragraphs covering the most vital points about a character: childhood, power manifestation, and current situation in life.
  • Of course, you don’t have to do the same as me. As with the personality section above, it’s up to you. As long as you get the vital info down in paragraph format, I’m a happy camper.
Powers

Category:
Abilities:
  1. slot 1
  2. slot 2
More on this section in a bit.

Who are you again
OoC name: What you prefer to be call in the cbox and elsewhere on the board.
Previous characters: If you don’t have any yet, then ignore this.

ONCE YOU’VE FILLED THAT OUT…
  1. When everything is in order, and assuming you’re applying for a mutant, a member of staff will reply with one simple question. Pick a power category.
  2. The correct answer is any of the four possible types listed in the basic info threads. That’s psionic, super, energist and warper. You won’t be able to change once this specific character is accepted. Choose wisely.
  3. After consulting the stars and doing some top secret calculations, your reviewers next post will give you your character’s first "slot 1" power. If it really doesn’t fit you idea for the character you can appeal for a do over.
  4. The next step is simple and by far my favourite. Every mutant character gets not one, but two powers. The first we’ve already covered, but the second is completely up to you! Linking the second power into the first in some way is recommended for a coherent character, but again it’s not a requirement. Be creative, that’s all I’m saying.
THEN, ASSUMING WE DON’T FIND SOMETHING AMISS,
OUR NEXT POST WILL BE A LOVELY LITTLE STAMP OF APPROVAL.

LIKE THIS…

Approved
PMEmail
^
Spirit
 Posted: Jul 27 2014, 11:58 AM
Played By:
Spirit
Admin
Powers
Owning
Creating

Organization
Unaffiliated

ADDITIONAL READING

This is our ever growing list of places we think are either generally awesome resources of character building tips, tricks and essays or just brilliant places to find inspiration.

Feel few to take a look around if you ever feel like you need help creating your new character. I promise you won't be disappointed (mostly).

WARNING! Some of these sites are huge time sinks (one in particular...). You may well get addicted and forget to eat. I won't be held responsible for loss of offline life http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/wink.gif
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll