Welcome
September Featured RPG

"And the Dreamer Dreamed of Mutants" is an original superhuman RPG with a hybrid narrative and sandbox style. This means that, in addition to an on-going often reality warping board-wide plot that you, humble members, can influence through your character's actions, we also adore the more personal inter-character plot and give you free-reign to explore our unique setting.

We are rated 2-1-1 (or PG-13) and welcome all, no matter who you are or where you come from.

IMPORTANT LINKS

The Plot

The Rules

The Equality Policy

The Story So Far

Character Template

Staff
SPIRIT
Owner & Creator

SCOOT
Plot & Advertising
C-box
- Guest friendly.
- Keep to the rules.

- At the moment all our staff are close to the GMT timezone. I promise we're not ignoring you. If you miss us, drop in again whenever!

Listed On
Affiliates
Palandri
CoT%20Affie%20Button.png
Credit
Banner credit goes to Zozma and Heather of Distant Fantasies. Everything else is property of it's respective owners.

Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

I will not encourage others to fly, Hayden
Hayden Frye
 Posted: Nov 8 2014, 11:05 AM
Played By:
Scoot
Super
Powers
Enhanced Agility
Enhanced Flexibility

Organization
Unaffiliated

I bet," he said quietly when Miri admitted that they still took the breath out of her. The trees were so huge that it somehow looked like they didn't belong. Like they would fit right in on an alien planet, or like they were some kind of ancient remnant from the Jurassic period.

When she suddenly giggled he glanced over at her; she was practically bouncing out of eagerness to finally get to show him the Redwoods. Her comment about getting out and push made him smile, because he could easily imagine her doing just that if it would have gotten them to their goal any faster. Maybe it even would, although he doubted pure speed would help with pushing a truck anywhere.
"Well, sorry that my brain needs time to process it all," he said, but he leaned back in the car and put in a higher gear. There would be plenty of time to see the trees up close.
"Alright, just point me in the right direction."

And as for how California was measuring up... So far it had been great, in no small part thank to Miri herself. But of course he couldn't say it straight away.
"Ah, you know. It's alright. It would have made my top ten list, but then again, Ohio does have the world's largest picnic basket. Sorry, but that's kinda hard to beat."
He flashed her a smile, and then adapted a more genuine tone.
"Truth to be told, it measures up just fine. Great, even. Thank you for showin' me around, Miri."
That probably came off a bit too ceremonial, but any eventual awkwardness be damned; he was grateful and wanted to thank her.
"Right now I'm really glad I couldn't afford Vegas."
PMEmail
^
Miriam Kirkland Cohen
 Posted: Nov 8 2014, 05:17 PM
Played By:
Super
Powers
Enhanced Senses
Speed

Organization
Alpha Squad

“Time,” Miri groaned, responding to the word the way others might to the mention of ice storms or broccoli. Most people’s hearts sped up when they were nervous or excited, but Miri sped up all over, so ‘time’ could be a real drag. She could speed herself up—but it stayed slow. So did everyone else. So sometimes ‘time’ was the most annoying thing in her world.

“There’s a right turn—I don’t know when, but it’s on the right. And of course I can beat a picnic basket. Picnic baskets don’t even have legs.” Of course she knew he meant there was nothing better than the world’s largest picnic basket (even the world’s oldest tree).

“You know, there’s a lot of fun stuff in San Francisco. I don’t do, like, nightlife stuff,” was one way to phrase it. She did some nightlife stuff, after all, but she didn’t think he wanted to go crimefighting with her and she wasn’t in the market for a partner anyway. “But I’d be happy to show you around the park or whatever. The maritime museum is cool or you could watch the boats in the aquatic park, go to the aquarium.

“It’s all the stuff in those pamphlets at the motel, but it’s actually a lot of fun, some of it—oh, and the Exploratorium! Seriously, there’s so much to do in the Bay Area. I mean, if you want,” she added, “I can, um, suggest stuff. Or, like, hang out, or… whatever… in a totally non-imposey way…” she trailed off. She shrugged. Somewhere along the way, Miri had managed to turn a ‘you’re welcome’ into something that felt way too familiar and presumptuous. She meant to be nice. It just came out a little wrong and left her blushing.
PMAIM
^
Hayden Frye
 Posted: Nov 11 2014, 12:03 PM
Played By:
Scoot
Super
Powers
Enhanced Agility
Enhanced Flexibility

Organization
Unaffiliated

He wondered what it was like, having super speed. Judging from her reaction it seemed like a mixed blessing. Standing in line or waiting at the dentist must be like torture.

Hayden rolled his eyes at her intentionally misunderstanding him... Or at least, he thought it was intentional.
"Very funny. Alright, keepin' an eye to the right, then."

He nodded while she told him about more places to go in San Francisco. Right now he was mostly focused on getting to the Redwoods, but if he had any spare time, he wouldn't mind seeing more of San Francisco. Especially with a good guide like Miri. But then she trailed off a bit, and when Hayden looked over at her he saw that she was actually blushing... although he couldn't rightly say why.

The thought struck him that with the vague wording and the blushing and all, she might be alluding to hanging out hanging out. He gave her a questioning look to try and figure out what she was thinking, but it was no use. Sometimes he wished he was better at reading people. Or girls.
"Non-imposey..." he repeated, mostly to buy himself some time to think back on their previous conversations. He hadn't gotten an impression that she'd been interested in him, so she probably hadn't meant it that way, but it didn't hurt to be sure where they stood.
"So, just for clarification," he said in a neutral tone. "Do you mean hangin' out hangin' out?"
PMEmail
^
Miriam Kirkland Cohen
 Posted: Nov 11 2014, 01:13 PM
Played By:
Super
Powers
Enhanced Senses
Speed

Organization
Alpha Squad

Hanging out hanging out?” Miri asked. This time she was not intentionally misunderstanding. She honestly was not sure what hanging out hanging out meant—was that like “like liking” someone? But, no, he couldn’t mean that! They were friends. Well, they were a couple of people who might be friends, which was funny to think about someone she only met yesterday.

There was something else, though, something they might be alluding to euphemistically because you could not be too careful talking about this when someone might hear. “Do you mean like mutant stuff?” She liked Hayden, but she wasn’t sure she was supposed to tell even other mutants about the Foundation.

Meanwhile, her stomach was nudging at her ribs. Miri fished a baggie of chocolate chip cookies out of her backpack. “You want any cookies?” she asked. “I have like a million of ’em back home, so you’re welcome to them. Sometimes I think if the zombie apocalypse hit, I’d have to choose. I could hole up and live off the snacks in the pantry for like three years, or I could outrun them.”

That was a thought that entertained her now and again when she was bored. She had never figured out which would be best, which kept things interesting.
PMAIM
^
Hayden Frye
 Posted: Nov 12 2014, 07:00 PM
Played By:
Scoot
Super
Powers
Enhanced Agility
Enhanced Flexibility

Organization
Unaffiliated

Alright, she didn't seem to have a clue to what he was talking about. That was good. Hayden had just wanted to make sure they were on the same wavelength. He waved a dismissal hand when she asked if she meant mutant stuff.
"Nah, nevermind. But hangin' out sounds great, in a totally non-imposey way of course," he said, mirroring her earlier clarification.

He hesitated when she offered cookies. Hayden usually never said no when there was free food to be had, but after the cupcakes and candy bar he felt like he'd had his fill of sugar for the moment.
"Nah, I'll pass. Savin' myself for lunch."

He snickered at her zombie scenario, but then adapted a more serious expression while considering her two survival plans.
"Hmm, hard choice. Sounds like you got a lot to consider, seein' as both strategies got their ups and downs. Me, I'd probably hole up in a tree somewhere and pray to the Lord zombies never learn how to climb."

With the sugary snacks and comments about having millions of cookies at home, there was a quite clear conclusion to draw.
"Let me guess, movin' at super speed requires a hefty energy intake, huh?"
PMEmail
^
Miriam Kirkland Cohen
 Posted: Nov 15 2014, 07:26 PM
Played By:
Super
Powers
Enhanced Senses
Speed

Organization
Alpha Squad

“’Kay.” Whatever he had meant, he didn’t seem annoyed that she hadn’t understood. Miri did worry about inviting herself along. It wasn’t a secret, not to her anyway, that she liked the thought of them being friends. But Hayden might not. Someone who traveled around so much probably was used to meeting people and moving on.

As to the energy intake, “Oh my god, like you wouldn’t believe! I mean, I don’t have to eat, like when I’m in class, it’s pretty rare you meet a professor who’s cool with that. I’m pretty much always hungry, though. If I get anxious or excited, sometimes it kicks in without my meaning to—my speed, that is—but I still have nowhere to go or I’m in a situation where I can’t run, so I burn a lot of calories. Or, you know, sometimes I race trucks!

“Sometimes it seems like telepathy would be nifty. Like, getting a CostCo card was such a pain in the butt ’cause you have to be eighteen, but when you eat in bulk… I do eat vegetables and stuff,” she added. “Whole grains. Tomatoes. But when you’re running on empty, a head of lettuce doesn’t really cut it.” She knew that from experience. An entire head. Still empty.

“I kinda like it, y’know? Being a mutant… when people find out… it can make you feel like a freak. But I’m still basically human. I can do more, move faster, but I still have to eat. We’re not invulnerable. Well, I’m not, anyway. Does that make sense? Or… did you nod off halfway through my totally unsolicited ramble? Because you really shouldn’t do that. Sleep at the wheel,” she half joked. Sleeping at the wheel was dangerous, but she knew he had not done that.
PMAIM
^
Hayden Frye
 Posted: Jan 8 2015, 07:22 PM
Played By:
Scoot
Super
Powers
Enhanced Agility
Enhanced Flexibility

Organization
Unaffiliated

Hayden nodded when she explained her eating habits.
"Makes sense, really. I'm sure lettuce has many good qualities, but fuel? Nah."
He noticed her mentioning getting a CostCo card, and it confused him a bit. Did she do the shopping in her family? Did she live on her own? Or maybe her heightened metabolism had left her family unable to pay for all the food she needed? By now he was almost positive that she didn't want to talk about her family, everything he knew about them had come from small clues like this one. If he'd been more inquisitive he might have asked her, but it was her family, her business. He shouldn't be speculating.

He made huffing noise when she joked that he might fall asleep at the wheel listening to her.
"I'd never!" he protested. Even someone who thought street-racing was a fun pastime knew how stupid it was to drive when you couldn't hold your eyes up.
By now he thought he'd gotten the hang of her so-called 'unsolicited rambles'. At first he had lost her now and then, especially at sudden changes of subjects, but as long as he paid attention it wasn't really a problem.

"You've got a point. Like our powers aren't really supernatural, more like... physical? I dunno. There's a lot of work that goes into it. I'll climb anything that'll stand still long enough, but I still need exercise so I'll be able to pull myself up... leg strength to make long jumps..."
His voice trailed of a bit and he got an aghast expression when he realized that maybe he wasn't in top shape after driving around and neglecting workouts for quite some time. He hadn't gained any weight... well, a bit, but not enough to impact his climbing, he hoped. But what if his muscles had atrophied? Lately he hadn't really climbed any obstacle higher than a wall, what if the Redwood trees would prove too much of a challenge?
He looked solemnly at Miri.
"If I make a run towards a tree, manage to climb ten feet and then start slidin' slowly down the side, fingers leavin' rakes in the bark like some damn Garfield cartoon... promise you won't laugh."

"Anyway. Yeah, we aren't invulnerable. I'd love to be, though," he joked. I'd rather be that than telepathic."
He scrunched his nose, remembering the ordeal with the mutant in Ohio who'd been able to cause illusions. The kid had seemed to be all right, if a bit bratty, but it had still been very unnerving to discover his mind wasn't as secure as he'd liked it to be.
"Pokin' around someone's brain set my teeth on edge," he muttered, almost to himself, and unconsciously gripped the wheel a bit tighter.
PMEmail
^
Miriam Kirkland Cohen
 Posted: Jan 9 2015, 03:12 AM
Played By:
Super
Powers
Enhanced Senses
Speed

Organization
Alpha Squad

Miri swallowed a mouthful of cookies before answering. “I’ll laugh really fast so it sounds like I’m sneezing,” she replied. Then, holding up three fingers, “Scout’s honor.” She managed that attempted solemnity for about four seconds before laughing. “Nah, I was never a Girl Scout. They don’t sell their cookies in bulk. And I do promise not to laugh.”

Hayden really didn’t seem to like the idea of telepathy. The skin stretched visibly over his knuckles. Granted, ‘visibly’ was slightly different for someone with enhanced senses, but this clearly bothered him a lot.

It surprised her how much he disliked that particular power, but then, the idea was creepy. People liked their privacy; people need to be able to keep their secrets. Plus sometimes people had thoughts they needed kept private. The idea of someone reading them made her shiver. A cute telepathic boy was officially one of the last people she wanted to meet.

“The thing about invulnerability is, what if it’s not—what if it’s only external stuff? Like what if you’re so tough you can bounce bullets, but you’re not immune to illness or internal injury? A scalpel won’t puncture what a bullet can’t and if something were strong enough to hurt you, you would bounce the needle, too. Derma-bond might do, but you would be suture-immune.

“Um, now I’m worried. You have a first aid kit, right? Just in case? Ooh, that’s the turn coming up!”

Perspective was an interesting thing. For someone who could count the leaves on the redwoods, ‘coming up’ was a fairly broad range.
PMAIM
^
Hayden Frye
 Posted: Jan 13 2015, 02:28 AM
Played By:
Scoot
Super
Powers
Enhanced Agility
Enhanced Flexibility

Organization
Unaffiliated

"Ha, thanks," Hayden said after her sort-of-but-not-quite Scout's honor promise. Hopefully there'd be no need for her to hold that promise; he wasn't really intending to make a fool out of himself, but you never knew.

Hayden tapped thoughtfully against the wheel while he thought of what she'd said. Actually, put that way invulnerability sounded kind of like a bummer. Just imagine being hit by a car and the surgeons wouldn't even be able to operate on you... no thanks.
"I've suppose you've got a point... but who needs it anyway, it would just get boring after a while. I mean, I bet the guy with bulletproof skin just goes around daydreamin' of the day when someone finally goes ahead and draw a gun on him. Sort of invites you to all kinds of reckless behavior."

Speaking of reckless behavior... He gave her a sheepish look when she asked if he got a first-aid kit. It should be basic equipment, especially if you spent as much time as he did in the car, but...
"I've... got a couple'a bandaids and a map of aspirin?" he admitted, and then quickly added; "S'alright, I never fall."

He kept looking for the the turn she'd mentioned, but couldn't see it and briefly wondered if he'd missed it.
"Uhm... just where is- ah, never mind," he said after suddenly noticing the sign some distance ahead of them, at the edge of his vision. He rolled his eyes.
"Not everyone in the car can count the hair of a fly, remember."
Now that actually picked his curiosity, and he glanced over at her.
"Could you? Or are those peepers long-distance only?"
PMEmail
^
Miriam Kirkland Cohen
 Posted: Jan 13 2015, 03:54 AM
Played By:
Super
Powers
Enhanced Senses
Speed

Organization
Alpha Squad

Miri bit her lip against telling Hayden that he really should have a first aid kit. She had one, but it wasn’t particularly intense. She had the same: band-aids, antiseptic wipes, Midol, tampons, dental floss. In a pinch, tampons could be bandages, they were sterile cotton, but she didn’t see Hayden loving that.

“Yeah, I could,” she said. She could count the hairs on a fly, if she wanted to. “I’ve never tried to measure it. You can’t out-see a car.” The joke was so weak she could only think about talking more like she could cover past sounds.

“It just happened, practically overnight. Literally overnight. I woke up different. Suddenly I could smell the soap in the kitchen, from my bedroom, feel every fiber in my sheets. I couldn’t… think, it was just too much. Sometimes I wonder if my speed helped. ’Cause that’s a lot to get through. I’m more used to it now, but those first days… it was like being born. Is that totally gross? It was like coming out of this warm, dim, dull cocoon and being used to thinking and understanding but there was too much to process.

“Sorry. Talking about my power is new,” and she realized that consequently she had basically given a lecture on ‘being Miri’. Not everyone’s favorite subject. “I guess it wasn’t like that for everyone, though, right? Like you—you said you didn’t know. But there must have been a time when you realized, right? Like even if you didn’t know the second it happened, there was a second you… you knew? You went from being a guy who never fell to a guy who never fell.”

There really needed to be a new vocabulary for mutants, a term for recognizing what you were, a term for using your powers for the first time.
PMAIM
^
Hayden Frye
 Posted: Mar 12 2015, 04:58 PM
Played By:
Scoot
Super
Powers
Enhanced Agility
Enhanced Flexibility

Organization
Unaffiliated

Her comment about out-staring a car just had him giving her a blank stare; he was glad when she changed the subject so he wouldn't have to try and figure out what she was taking about.

Hayden nodded while she told about what it was like waking up with the ability to see, hear and sense, like, everything. The comparison to being born seemed to fit really well.
He shook his head to indicate that it wasn't a problem when she apologized for talking about her powers.
"Naw, it's interesting to talk about. I'm always happy to compare notes."

And as for when he first noticed...
"Actually, I just figured my friends were reeeeaally clumpsy," he admitted. "It didn't quite struck me that I was the odd one out. Like I said, I was just as weirded out as anyone."
He added teasingly:
"Despite being the greatest state in the US and all, Texas still got a couple'a flaws. Not being particularly acceptin' of deviants may be one of them. Hell, I was scared of mutants myself. Finding out you are one... beyond freaky. And there were no real signs of it."
He tapped a finger thoughtfully against his chin.
"Except... I remember gettin' awful dizzy spells a couple'a months before I discovered what I was. I'd be sittin' in the cafeteria or watchin' cartoons and suddenly everything would just start spinnin'. It usually ended up with me on the floor, hands covering my eyes and feelin' like a cat stuck in a dryer."
Hayden huffed, and a broad grin covered his face when he thought back at the events.
"The school nurse was stumped. My parents were dead sure it was because I stayed up late playin' video games, but now I reckon it must've been my inner ear evolvin' or whatever. Anyway, it stopped just as suddenly as it began, so I didn't have to go on a brain scan."
He frowned a bit.
"Haven't really been to a physician in years, so I have no idea what they'd find in there if they did one now. Hidden treasure? Sorry, ramblin'."

He slowed down as they approached the turn and then steered the truck onto the smaller road. There was no other cars that he could see, but he bet it still saw a lot of traffic, considering what a draw the trees were.
"Does this area see a lot of tourists?" he asked. "'Cause it's a long drive out in the hinterlands and us visitors have the attention span of puppies," he joked.
PMEmail
^
Miriam Kirkland Cohen
 Posted: Mar 12 2015, 08:24 PM
Played By:
Super
Powers
Enhanced Senses
Speed

Organization
Alpha Squad

“I think the yokels like you stay in the city,” Miri teased, grinning at Hayden so he knew it was just a joke. “Nah, people who come to see these trees… they come to see the trees, you know? They come to the Bay Area to see these. They’re mostly eco-tourists and students from UCB. The university,” she added, realizing that UC was a well-known term in California but someone from Texas wouldn’t use it regularly.

And speaking of puppies, it was all she could do not to stick her head out the window like one as they drove through the trees. It wasn’t just the fresh air. That was a big part of it, but the scent was more. To Miri, fresh air meant ‘not stale’. Green air? Now that was special! She could almost always find a green scent somewhere with her sense of smell so heightened. But this was just… everywhere!

When Hayden parked, he had barely stopped the car but Miri undid her seatbelt and tumbled out. Any tiredness from her recent run was gone. For a moment she just stood, enjoying the trees.

“Oh my god! Look, look, do you see that?” she asked, pointing up at the treetops. She didn’t know if the red-tailed hawk was visible to Hayden. Of course it was visible to Miri. Things like this—the bird, the trees, the wind---were why she absolutely loved her enhanced senses. Sure, they made her smell vomit from several blocks away in the city. Here they showed her birds and butterflies and all sorts of wonderful things.
PMAIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 6 
Add Reply
New Poll